Sunday, July 15, 2007

San Gorgonio Campground

We went camping this weekend at the San Gorgonio campground in the San Bernardino National Forest. Friday evening I was messing around taking pictures around the fire and trying to get some of the stars and such. The women went to bed while Duncan and I stayed up a little longer. We were out on the road by our campground and while my camera was doing it's thing, I heard some noise to the left of me. So I slowly pulled my flashlight out of my pocket and pointed it in the general dirction of the noise, right into the face of a black bear. It was standing about 15-20 feet away from us. Once the light hit his eyes, he turned and walked away and proceeded to walk around a couple more sites before walking through ours. It came a couple feet from where Christina and Isabella were sleeping. Needless to say we stayed up a little while longer to make sure it didn't come back. We were told the next morning by the campground hosts that it got in to their neighbors ice chest and containers and ate some of their food, but it didn't harm anything. So that is 2 out of the last 3 camping trips that we have had an encounter/issue with a bear, Yosemite last year and this year in S. CA. Anyway, it was fun...here are a few photos from the evening. And no, I wasn't thinking clearly enough to use the pop up flash on my camera to get a photo of the bear. I'm kicking myself now.



No comments: