Monday, December 04, 2006

Crystal Cathedral and the CHP

Saturday after church, Stephanie and I drove to the Cryatal Cathedral for their Glory of Christmas play. It was a nice production even though I am not much into song and dance. But if you get a chance to go, you should.



While we were waiting for it to start, we got the chance to view the Ken Duncan Exhibition. What a great photographer. Dr. Robert H. Schuller has done some writing in his books so it was a fitting place to show his work. This was one of my favorite photos from the whole exhibit.



On our way home, we were driving on the 91 in the fast lane when all of the sudden, the road got really rough, or so we thought. Then it occured to me, we have a flat tire. So I made my way to the shoulder and got out to find this...

What a great way to finish off the evening. But that wasn't all...

I was almost done putting the spare on and in the process of getting ready to go when Stephanie and I heard some screaching tires really close to us. We look up to see a car and an SUV braking in order to not hit the stopped Jetta, yes, stopped car in the slow lane. Southern California interstates are not the place to just be stopping on. It seems this couple was having an argument in the car and he, with all the intelligence in the world, decided to stop. And when he did, she jumped out and started walking on the shoulder. He proceeded to pull out of the lane of traffic, jump out through passenger door and start chasing her around the car grabbing her trying to get her back to the car. At that point, I started running toward them just in case. I got about half way there when he let go and started walking back to his car. He saw me and with all the noise, I can't tell you what exaclty he said to me, but I don't thank it was thanks for watching out for my girl. Anyway, by that time, Stephanie was dailing 911 and I was running back to the car to take the air compressor hose off of the spare tire. It was already at 50 p.s.i. The last thing I needed was another blown tire. We threw the rest of the stuff in the car, jumped in, and started off toward the Jetta who was now driving on the shoulder next to the girl trying to talk to her. She didn't want anything to do with him. Mind you, he was in a suit and she was in a dress. We followed them for about a 1/4 mile or so into a weigh station when the CHP showed up. I was trying to wave them around me but they weren't about to just jump into this one. They told all of us over their loud speaker to keep our hands outside the car. So we sat there for a few minutes while the two CHP officers crept up the to Jetta with guns drawn. They got the guy out of the car, frisked him, put the cuffs on, then put him in their cruiser. The one car drove ahead to find the girl while the other one got our statement. After that, we were free to go. For some reason, we think we were in the right place at the right time. I don't enjoy buying new tires but I think it was worth it since we have no idea what could have happened. Hopefully we don't get any calls to be a witness in some civil dispuit case. And I'm hoping the guy didn't get our licene place number. :)

1 comment:

Eddie Bojorquez (Studio 512) said...

Hey KC,
I never comment on blogs, but thought I'd do so as I read a bit of yours. Wow...that's crazy. Glad you were available to have God use you. Like you said, there's no telling what could've happened if you hadn't intervened. See you at OSPW!
-Eddie